Belize Wedding Requirements
Prior to nuptials, we highly suggest you arrive at least one week pre-wedding date. Kick back, tour this beautiful country and experience its true authenticity with locals. We've got your itinerary covered, you just show up on time. Belize has multicultural influences, picturesque views and mouth watering cuisines (read more here). Just as any other locale, Belize has laws for marriages within its borders. These laws ensure that your wedding is official and internationally recognized! Since we understand the process, we assist you with your marriage license and the formal registration of your marriage.
- Each couple must be in the country for a minimum of three days (72 hours) prior to their marriage license application.
- On the first business day after the three-day residency period, a marriage application can be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.
- The application process is one day and requires proof of citizenship, passport or birth certificate, original divorce certificate or death certificate, if applicable, and a Senior Justice of the Peace to witness the signing of the application.
- After the one day application processing period a license to marry will be ready.
- Weddings must be performed by either a Senior Justice of the Peace who has authority to marry people or a Minister of a registered church. There must also be at least two witnesses, a male and a female.
- The cost of the license is $200 BZD ($100.00 USD) per couple, plus an administrative fee of $10.00 BZD ($5.00 USD).
- A blood test is not required. Consent from a parent is not required if both partners are over 18 years of age.
- The marriage must be registered with the Registry Department after the marriage ceremony has been completed.